THIS CASE STUDY INFORMATION (SO FAR) IS OFFERED IN GOOD FAITH. IT ILLUSTRATES THE DIFFICULTIES OWNERS CAN HAVE WITH AFFECTED FACTORVII DEFICIENT ANIMALS WHO NEED SURGERY.

The bitch was identified in 2006 as affected when routine testing was taking place. We understand the arguments about 'we have been living with it for decades' AND 'dogs are not bleeding out regularly' BUT the genie is out of the bottle and now we know we have taken it on board and are attempting to breed it out without loosing any genes. We made a decision early on, after consulatation with out vet, not to breed from an affected hound, nor put carrier to carrier, and having identified one affected bitch we decided placed her in a pet home with the owner's full knwledge of the situation.

Tams story so far is this..............

It was decided to place Tam into a pet environment, and both the breeder and ourselves were happy to let Tam go off with her new owner without papers and on the strict understanding she was not to be bred from. No price was put on her and we were all more than happy to give her a good opportuntiy to live a normal life in a lovely caring pet home. It was decided not to spay her routinely as there was a risk but if necessary it could be done in the future.

After a year and on her third season Tam developed the season blues and had a rather nasty discharge - followed by a period of being unwell and general lethargy. The owner spoke to her vet and spaying was suggested as a solution. Having all the information on Factor Vii deficiency to hand the vet took blood and when these results (see below) came back he decided he was not be prepared to do the op and preferred to referred her to Liverpool University where they will have the plasma if it is needed. .

This now involves the owner taking Sam to Liverpool University Hospital, maybe at more expense than a normal, plus a days journey there and another to fetch her back, that is if the we or owner cannot find a vet who will do the op safely. It appears the insurance will not foot the bill.

So we think the moral of the story is - if you breed make sure the puppies will not be affected so that it gives new owners the chance of a normal life with their hounds without worry, and we all know how how that is done. Ignorance is not bliss it is rather dangerous maybe not for the breeder but certainly for the hounds and the unsuspecting owners. We will continue to report on Tam's progress and will let you know.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

update.

Moving on I have today discussed Tam with my vet who he has agreed to do the spay, I have asked him to let us know, in a report, anything untoward and one of my deerhounds will be at the surgery should Tam need a blood transfusion. His comments were, he is not expecting any problems and where he would have allowed tiny oozes for normal clotting to look after he will make sure everything is tidy before he closes. This is the story so far - the op will take place before christmas and hopefully Tam will come through it fine but one does wonder if she would had the vet not known she was factor Vii deficient.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FURTHER UPDATE

After further consultations between the two vets it has now been decided to give Tam injections to head off the next season and look to spaying her in the new year.

watch this space

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------